The most important meal of the day? Or an excuse to make pretty food which must be photographed before eating? Either way, it’s clear that breakfast has evolved since the cereal boxes and flimsy toast of yesteryear.
Up until recently I worked most weekends which left little time for elaborate breakfasts. So when a day off came, you better believe I went for it. Music on, coffee steaming, it was me and a small kitchen of haphazard utensils against the world.
The end result was coconut French toast with frozen berries, honey drizzle and a super-seed topping for that extra edge of millennial. Do I care? Not one bit. It tasted great and meant I finally had an excuse to use the £4 bag of seeds we’d convinced ourselves was a ‘good deal’.
Ingredients for two servings:
- One tsbp of coconut oil
- Four pieces of wholemeal bread (works best with stale loaves)
- Four eggs
- 1tsp of cinnamon or mixed spice
- Four tbsp of desiccated/flaked coconut
- Two generous portions of frozen/fresh berries
- One tsp of honey
- One tbsp of peanut butter or honey to serve
- Two tsp of seed mix
- Pretty plate to serve
- Heat a large frying on a low to medium heat, adding the coconut oil to melt.
- Whisk eggs together and add 1tsp of chosen spice.
- Place four tbsp of coconut on a large plate.
- Dip one piece of bread in the egg, ensuring it is fully coated, repeat for all four slices.
- Coat the bread in the coconut and try to get an even spread, repeat for all four slices.
- Place two slices of bread in the pan. Leave to fry for 2-3 mins or until golden brown on the underside.
- Flip the bread over and allow to fry for a further 2-3 mins.
- Once crispy and golden, plate up with the frozen berries on top, drizzle over the honey and scatter seeds to your heart’s desire. Add tbsp of peanut butter or would also work well with a generous dollop of yoghurt or ice cream for a treat.